Whatever your circumstances, if you begin by speaking the following mantra it can do no harm and hopefully bring inspiration to your meal preparation…
- Always cook with love
- Always bake with your heart
- Always enjoy yourself
Budgeting for meals
- As part of your overall weekly/monthly budget, clearly identify the amount you have available for groceries.
- Find the lowest cost vegetables available; make a list of what they are and their cost
- Also seek out products carrying reduced cost tags/stickers
- Find products on special offer but make sure you look at price per gram and compare to same products but from a different brand.
- Source recipes that feature the ingredients you have sourced/be inventive as recipes are unlikely to match the products you’ve found
- Plan to add dried herbs/a sprinkle of spices or yeast extract for flavour
- Cook in batches; e.g. a vegetable curry can last 2 – 3 days when appropriately stored
- A selection of recipes (see booklet)